Monday, 1 August 2011

Still Life chatter...

Was at my parents' house for a few days recently, and spent some time checking out all the great coffee-table books on art! I was especially absorbed (as per usual) by the impressionists and post-impressionists. Not usually one for Cezanne, but looking at his pencil sketches and still lifes I have to say I was definitely inspired!
I haven't yet set up my acrylics (which I am really excited to do very soon!) but here is a late-night-kitchen still-life sketch (brought to you by photos, still without scanner ah'mafraid!)




Also, did this little watercolor of bananas in June, really enjoyed the water color still life action! Plus a little pencil crayon overtop.


And for some visuals of what I'm talking about, check out these still-lifes I'm really into from the late-great-Pauls Cezanne and Gauguin:

 Gauguin, Still Life with Teapot and Fruit 
 Cezanne, Still Life with Apples 
 Cezanne, Cherries
 Gauguin, Still Life with Fruit
 Gauguin, Still Life with Japanese Woodcut
Cezanne, Still Life with Apples

2 comments:

  1. whoa! those bananas! whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who knew still lifes can be so artistic
    another example of how paint can be better than reality

    ReplyDelete